Re: Elk Antennas for HTs?

   The fact that the two antennas in the Arrow have two connectors is not
   because they are 90 degrees out of phase and not the reason for the
   duplexer.  You could easily use a standard BNC "T" connector and match
   the antennas impedance, which would accomplish the same as the
   Elk.  The primary use of the duplexer is isolation.
   The original statement was about the IC-W32A which I own (I do not own
   the other radios you mention) so I can't speak for their built in
   duplexers.  However I don't believe the FT-530 is full duplex.  I seem
   to recall it turns off the second receiver whenever you transmit which
   is not the same as FULL duplex.  However since I don't own the radio
   don't quote me on that.
   My experience with the Elk and the W32A in FULL duplex mode is that it
   desenses the receiver when you are transmitting so you cannot hear
   yourself coming back down on the downlink frequency.  I have tried the
   BNC T connector method mentioned above rather than the duplexer with
   the Arrow and it desenses, though not as bad as the Elk did since the
   90 degree difference in transmit and receive antennas offers a little
   isolation.  With a duplexer you get additional isolation and it
   doesn't desense.
   73,
   Emily

   I have used the FT-530 for contacts, it is full duplex.  The duplexer
   is sufficient to hear your downlink while transmitting even using a
   long duckie antenna.  (At least it was on UO-14).

   73,

   Joe