Re: Elk Antennas for HTs?

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 10:37:06AM -0700, Emily Clarke wrote:

| Also, you can't use the Elk for full duplex since it doesn't have a
| duplexer.

I'm a bit confused by this statement.

The Elk Antenna is here --

   http://www.elkantennas.com/2m4405element.htm

in case somebody wants to see a picture of it.

The main competitor seems to be this one

   http://www.arrowantennas.com/146-437.html

By default, the Elk antenna has one plug, and the Arrow II has two
(since it's two antennas at right angles to each other.)  If you
almost double the price, they'll throw in a nice little duplexer in
the handle and then you have one connector to worry about.

I've got two radios sutiable for doing 2m/70cm satellite work -- a
FT-530 and a TM-D700A.  Both have a built in duplexer, both have only
one antenna connection, and both can transmit on 2m and receive on
70cm (and vice versa.)

Are not these radios pretty `standard' for satellite work?
(i.e. 70cm/2m, one antenna connector, built in duplexer, can transmit
on one band while receiving on another.)  If this isn't standard, than
what is?  Two different radios, one for transmitting and one for
receiving?  Or radios with two antenna connectors?

Why wouldn't I be able to do full duplex with one of these radios
using the Elk antenna and no extra duplexer?  Certainly, I can do it
with the little 1/4 wave whip I use with it.

Forgive me if this is silly question ... I'm pretty new to this :)

--
Doug McLaren, dougmc@frenzy.com, AD5RH
And in other news ... the pot called the kettle black again.