Re: AMSAT Journal, Membership survey, ARISS/Human Spaceflight

I would defer to people like Frank and Sergey (and the people at NASA) but
I suspect that a wide band transponder would cause problems as 70cm is
shared with other government services that may be present on the
ISS.  Maybe not impossible, but more difficult.

Even if the ISS is limited to narrow band, I think it is important to
remember that ARISS is an educational (and inspirational) program worthy of
support from all hams.  If you want to get kids off the internet and onto
the ISS, ARISS is a place hams should be contributing both time and effort.
So not only do I want AMSAT to contribute to this worthy program, I would
encourage ARISS to establish their own system of contributions.

However, as much as I am reluctant to ask, I must.  I am curious about how
much the ARRL contributes to ARISS versus how much AMSAT contributes - that
would be an interesting set of numbers for organizations to disclose.  I'd
ask the same of the RAC, and other national clubs/leagues versus their own
AMSAT partners.  I hope AMSAT-NA isn't shouldering the burden.

73,

Emily

At 08:13 PM 10/19/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Since ham equipment on ISS seems to work well and be
>favorably supported, maybe a proposal to put a linear
>transponder on the ISS would be worth investigating.
>They seem to have the power budget and I'd guess
>someone could find an educational use for that sort of
>operation.
>
>It should be much cheaper to build without having to
>include an independent power source.
>
>Kenneth - N5VHO

W0EEC - CM87tm
http://www.emilyshouse.com/experthams/ao7/