Re: Re: Elk Antennas for HTs?

You are correct - it's a log periodic.  I used to own one.  I don't think
the design of the antenna is at issue as much as it's suitability as a
satellite antenna.  Any antenna is suitable for satellite use if you are
willing to live with shortcomings - unable to work full duplex is something
I would put in that category.

73,

Emily

At 03:10 PM 10/19/2004 -0500, k7zt@cox-internet.com wrote:
>Emily:
> > This is a Log Periodic antenna, the nature of this antenna is that it
> is broad banded. You will note that the elements starting at the rear are
> longer than the elements at the front. They decrease in size
> logarithmically as the frequency decreases.
>
>73's
>- Joe, K7zt
>
> > From: Emily Clarke <w0eec@AMSAT.Org>
> > Date: 2004/10/19 Tue PM 12:37:06 CDT
> > To: Joe Krepps <occupant@blazenet.net>,  amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
> > Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Elk Antennas for HTs?
> >
> > The Elk antennas are nice, but they don't have any kind of handle, so
> > unfortunately it's very difficult to point.  Also, you can't use the Elk
> > for full duplex since it doesn't have a duplexer.
> >
> > 73,
> >
> > Emily
> >

> > At 11:24 AM 10/19/2004 -0400, Joe Krepps wrote:
> > >All,
> > >
> > >Has anyone tried Elk Antenna's 2m/440 antenna for satellite work? I'm
> > >considering it in place of an Arrow. The Elk claims there's 1 antenna
> feed
> > >so no duplexer is needed. It would also be nice to have an antenna that
> > >will lay flat in my car as well.
> > >
> > >Appreciate your insights.
> > >
> > >tnx & 73
> > >Joe WB3CFN
> > >----
> > >Sent via amsat-bb@amsat.org. Opinions expressed are those of the author.
> > >Not an AMSAT member? Join now to support the amateur satellite program!

> > W0EEC - CM87tm
> > AMSAT Area Coordinator - San Francisco Bay Area
> > http://www.projectoscar.net    http://www.PlanetEmily.com
> > http://www.emilyshouse.com/experthams/ao7/
> >
> > Help Pay For Echo - http://www.amsat.org/amsat/sats/echo/index.html

W0EEC - CM87tm