Re: Re: major AMSAT outreach project

Hi Pat,

Echo probably can run at 7 watts - but what would be the point?  At 2
watts, it's horizon to horizon for me even with an HT and a whip, so why go
higher? But we all know that transmitter power can degrade over time -
FO-29 is supposed to put out 1 watt, but I suspect it's lower now, as AO-7
was 8 watts in mode B and probably puts out less than 2. So perhaps - 30
years from now, the "7 watt" power level will still entertain us.

I believe the control team is still "testing" the limits of the satellite
and will run it at levels that will benefit everyone for the long run.  So
I'm with you - I trust the control team to run the satellite at the limits
they feel are safe.

73,

Emily

At 10:27 PM 10/18/2004 -0500, Patrick Green wrote:
>Spending some money to keep a 10 watt sat that always works (or will
>work shortly when down) should be fine.  Haven't seen Echo at 7 watts
>and wouldn't expect the command stations to run it that way for fear
>of losing the bird.
>
>Just my 2 cents.
>
>73 de Pat --- KA9SCF.
>----