Re: FCC Adopts BPL Rules - Powell Gives Ominous Warning

At 07:28 PM 10/14/2004 -0400, RogerKola@aol.com wrote:
>And this is not a "veiled threat"?
>
>Chairman Powell had the last word however...(he)...warned
>amateurs, in essence, not to stand in the way of progress. "But let me
>underscore," the Chairman concluded, "the potential for the American
>economy is too great, is too enormous, too potentially groundbreaking,
>to sit idly by and allow any claim or any possible speculative fear keep
>us from continuing to drive this technology and drive America into the
>broadband future."
>
>Who appointed this guy?

The FCC is a "balanced board" - that is that there are seats that are
designated as Republican and seats that are designated Democratic. There
may be open seats also, but I'm not sure. Commissioners are confirmed by
Congress.

Powell was originally appointed to a Republican seat by President Clinton,
and was designated commissioner by President Bush.  Before being at the FCC
he worked for Cheney as a policy advisor.

- Emily

W0EEC - CM87tm
http://www.emilyshouse.com/experthams/ao7/

Help Pay For Echo - http://www.amsat.org/amsat/sats/echo/index.html