From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org]On
Behalf Of Luc Leblanc (VE2DWE)
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 1:59 AM
To: Amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Symposium Attendance

On 13 Oct 2004 at 16:59, Greg Wycoff wrote:

> 177 is not very many turning out for such a big event, why not have the
> symposium every other year then AMSAT could save some money and it could
go
> towards the AMSAT satellite program.

I made a quick analysis based on what i can get extract from previous AMSAT
financial statements and it
"seems" that it was an expenses for AMSAT. I reiterate it was an estimation.
Any corrections here "help:)" is
accepted at par.

Is this expenses is valuable? and worthwhile?  We need to know how many
AMSAT volumteers, officers, BOD
members gathered there. Aside of the individual satisfaction to be a
volunteer in AMSAT (noboby  force anyone
to take a position in AMSAT) a fact remain if the only one free of charge
recongnition is an annual get
together to all the AMSAT workers i vote for it.

If the sysposium is also a learning and a promoting tool i vote for it
again, but as many ask to implement a
pay for what you get system we should logicaly look at the sysmposiums the
same way.

Bottom line is the last symposium is an expense? a revenu? or it breakeven?
Then we should compares $$$ to
the fallouts for the membership? Thats the BOD job "equilazing budgets and
launching satellites"

Is an expense for a symposium is worthy BOD can give us the answers in the
regards of the above mentionned
points.

Is the 177 is really important i cannot tell right now but two groups mixed
this year ARISS and AMSAT.  From
my point of view its a small step for the outsiders but a giant one for the
insiders.

Luc Leblanc VE2DWE
Coordonnateur AMSAT pour le Québec
Quebec AMSAT coordinator