2004 AMSAT Symposium

What a GREAT time!!
On the occasion of AMSAT's 35th anniversary, the just concluded Symposium
can only be described as a resounding success!!

The host committee, chaired by Frank Bauer, did an outstanding job. Events
went like clock work and were as informative as any I have ever heard..  The
attendance was up from the prior year and I did not meet one person who did
not comment on what a fine event it was.

For those who could not make it, Emily kept people posted on the latest
happenings via regular up-dates on the AMSAT web site. For those interested
the Symposium Proceedings are available, thicker then ever, and loaded with
Great stuff!!

The ECHO fund raising thermometer was successfully retired breaking through
the top. Let's hear it for Robin who never wavered on his conviction that we
would get the job done.

The combining of the Symposium and the ARISS international gathering was a
great opportunity for all of us to meet international partners and get to
know even more about this major AMSAT outreach project.

We welcomed a new President who shared his vision for the exciting future of
AMSAT. We have a wonderful vision of our future and people just can't wait
to roll up their sleeves and dig in.

Now to some of the comments that have been posted on the -bb:

177 is a good attendee count.. It beat last year.

In the Members Survey, which will be in the upcoming Journal, you'll see
that the membership actually wanted more meeting each year, so only having
the Symposium every other year does not fit the need.

The Symposium is not a financial drain on AMSAT. The contrary is true. It is
our intent to actually make money on the event to help support the program
of work. Additionally, the contacts that are made and fostered at these
meetings are critical to AMSAT's future.

The camaraderie among members is priceless!! You make new friends, renew old
acquaintances, and put faces with those you have communicated with..

We do have a Database of our membership.. We use it every day.

In conclusion, thanks again to everyone who contributed to this outstanding
event and we look forward to some great Cajun fun next year in Lafa6yette,
LA..

Regards,
Gunther Meisse
W8GSM