Re: Symposium Attendance

Greg,

It should be noted that this year's symposium was one of the bigger
ones.  So I wouldn't say it wasn't a big event.  Also, from the perspective
of the number of members we have, I think it is great that a big percentage
of our membership chose to spend their valuable money and time to attend
and participate in the symposium.  Maybe my calculations are wrong, but
there was considerably more than 1% of the membership at the meeting.  I
think it was more on the order of 4-5% which is pretty good.

It is too bad that you didn't attend the symposium because the talks were
stimulating and, in some cases so inspirational that they brought tears to
some of those in attendance.  I think by only having the meeting once every
two years we lose a lot of momentum on satellite development.  We should
not do this.  Also, it is required for us to have an annual meeting and
this get together serves that purpose.

It is AMSAT's intent to not use its budget for the symposium.  The
registration fees are intended to pay for all symposium costs.  My team was
able to save considerable costs due to the team having various local
capabilities (e.g. A/V equipment) available.  Having the ARISS meeting in
conjunction with the AMSAT meeting also meant that we could share (reduce)
costs and increase attendance.

Regarding where we have these meetings, we have them where we can get a
volunteer team to support it.  Are you interested in volunteering???  I did
and am glad I did.

73,  Frank