RE: Symposium Attendance

I could be wrong, but I doubt the Symposium incurs an net cost to AMSAT.  If
anyone who knows real figures, feel free to chime in if I'm wrong.  I do
know that the money collected at the Symposium netted enough $$$ to retire
the Echo fund.  I don't recall exact numbers, but I think Echo was something
like $3500 in the hole at the beginning of the Symposium.  So those
attending the Symposium voluntarily reached deeper into our pockets (I did
so a couple of times) until the Echo thermometer could be retired.  For
myself that was a rewarding experience and it was done in a diplomatic
fashion so I don't think anyone felt undue pressure.

I would like to believe that even those not attending will consider retiring
the Echo thermometer a positive accomplishment of this year's Symposium.  I
also would echo (no pun intended) many of Dan Schultz's comments of the many
informal benefits of attending the Symposium, plus it being a lot of fun.
So unless somebody can show that the event costs AMSAT a significant amount
of $$$, I think the benefits justify having one annually.  That is, unless,
there's nobody willing to host the event.

Again, I'd be interested in corrections to the $$$ estimates I've guessed at
above.

73, Ken N2WWD