RE: Sputnik I launched Oct. 4 1957

"Davidoff, Martin" <MDAVIDOFF@ccbcmd.edu> wrote:

>Sputnik I was launched 52 years ago today (Oct. 4 1957).

There was major coverage in Pravda, needless to say.
Most university libraries have it on microfilm, though you're
looking for the next day's issue, 5 October 1957. Partly
due to the launch time, and partly due to the fact that
the Soviets never announced such things until they
were done deals. The (enormous) headline translates as
"World first: artificial satellite of the Earth"

I make it 47 years ago today, but what's 5 years between
friends?

Grid: CN89mg                       pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W     - Hospital/Shafte

to offer.
  Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNŽ Premium right now and get the
first two months FREE*.