From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org] On
Behalf Of Patrick Green
Sent: September 30, 2004 6:35 PM
To: Public Mail List amsat-bb
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Sat Hoggs

Hi All,

  I'm amazed at the congestion on the sats.   It reminds me that the
hobby isn't dead.  I think that a courtesy beep (a fast) needs to be
implemented in future FM LEOs so people know when people stop TXing.
People have a tendancy of transmitting when they think the
transmission is finished.  E.G.  KA9SCF EN51 near Chicago.  The "near
Chicago" gets wiped out by the next guy transmitting.

Then there are stations that TX (I can hear them on the input) and
listen to the satellite downlink until they "capture" the receiver
(and I can hear the downlink on a speaker in their backround).  These
happen when something special is going on like a new sat coming
online, the sat is transmitting more power today, a contest or a rare
grid is present.   The etiquette is reasonable for the amount of
stations trying to use the 12 minute resource.

I've found that I can rag chew on the sats that have late passes at
times (SO-50/ISS when voice).

Lastly, I have an HT and an arrow for my satellite work.  Someday I
might have the money to get on AO-7 and FO-29 but not for now and for
awhile.  I bought my station based on the fact that Echo was going up.
 I hope to hear more stations, there are a lot of grid that aren't
active and could be.

73 de Pat --- KA9SCF.