Re: eagle costs

This is an interesting subject and something I've thought a lot about
for a while now.

For those of us that don't understand the all the details involved, why
exactly does a "cheap" satellite cost $110k?  Unless I'm missing
something, I'd think one could pull together the right parts for under
$5k.

So, where's the cost?  Do those guys in dust suits cost a lot of money?
Do the vibration tests cost a lot of money?  Does the launch cost a lot
of money?  If an amateur satellite could fly on a commercial load as
balast, why does it cost much of anything?

How about this for cost... What about flying a small sat into orbit atop
an amateur rocket?  I bet there's an amateur rocket group somewhere out
there chomping at the idea of being the first amateur group to put a
satellite in orbit.  So why not team up?  Lets see if an amateur
satellite could be built for under $10k and launched on an amateur
rocket for very little cost.  $25k for the whole project, or am I being
naive?

--N1ZPP
//Chris