RE: Re: TS-2000 Problems

Guys,

I have been using my Kenwood TS-2000 and have now made contacts, or at least
heard myself full-duplex on each of AO-51/ECHO, SO-50 and FO-29.

For FO-29, use the radio in sat mode, and chase the doppler. A computer
connect will help. I'm working towards using a PIC microprocessor, but
that's for another day ...

For AO-51 and SO-50, just as the email below from Pete NA2P and others
suggest:
A) Put the 70 cm downlink on the main dial, and have the radio CTRL switched
there, so you can adjust for doppler from approx 10KHz high at the start to
10 below at the end. Just peak it until it sounds best, from time to time.
B) Put the uplink on the Sub VFO. Seems no need to change for doppler, and
for the TS-2000, the Sub VFO only moves on 5 KHz steps anyway, so leave it
fixed as your really can't do much anyway. Switch the PTT to there so that
becomes your uplink on transmit. Keep the audio volume low or use
headphones, and have fun.

Best to put the uplink into a memory channel. Then you can add the subtones
and save pain setting it each time.
One mem for AO-51 uplink with 67 Hz, another for SO-50 uplink with 67 Hz,
and another SO-50 uplink, but with the 77.4 Hz tone needed to bring on the
10-minute timer per details in the AMSAT ANS Bullitins.

The above works well for me, and lets me have full duplex, and I can check
my signal is getting in and relayed.

When AO-51 is idle, I call "CQ CQ ..." until I hear the first "CQ", and then
right away give my full call and location. And then listen in vain for an
answer.

Even when the bird is high and my antennas are tracking full on, it seems to
take maybe the first CQ before AO-51 comes on transmit, and only anything I
say after that is heard. That to me suggests anyone using half-duplex, and
giving the shortest possible call and then waiting for s reply, its very
possible their callsign never got repeated. Solution: Use full-duplex if at
all possible, otherwise a short pause after PTT before you speak. Maybe only
about 1 second. Not too long, and maybe not needed at all if the bird is
busy. I can't speak for whats needed when the uplink is overloaded.

*** Please note that this is what I do here, in New Zealand, when most
passes have NO-ONE else on. When the bird is busy over North Americia etc, I
think caling a long CQ would be a really bad idea. Just call back someone
else where you have heard their call as other emails have suggested. Not
really the point of my email here.

Regards,
Jim, ZL1TYF.