Re: potential Balloon launch

haha, I get the joke, but if I could be serious (not too much) for a
moment...

This disadvantage for radiosondes could be a benefit for drift bouys.
Put it into the air with a balloon, let it fly over the ocean and drop
into it. It'll drift unill it either dies or bumps into land. Every
so often it could transmit a position packet, up to a satellite for relay.

For the coasters, perhaps rocket launches would be better? The X10
cams already come on 2.4 GHz, and if you want to be cheap and ID, you
could throw on a PIC IDer. Use as a source of practice for building and
aiming antennas.

Dave
W1EUJ