RE: [officers] Re: NoN Technical (operational) questions

Greetings from CA...

I'm NOT an officer of AMSAT...but I feel compelled to comment.
This is purely personal--one man's opinion.

This thread mystifies me, frankly.

First, AMSAT gives away rights to use its name...to allow anyone to
affiliate
themselves WITH AMSAT by using the amsat.org e-mail alias.   THEN, it
permits
those who are clearly interested in AMSAT (why ELSE have the amsat.org
alias?)...
to use AMSAT-BB....which has been unmoderated, and where they proceed to
bash
amsat and its purely volunteer workers unmercifully and unjustifiably, and
at great
length.

Name ONE other organization which would tolerate that.   Survey non-members?
NONSENSE.   Close the gates.  Join or leave.

AMSAT is an all-volunteer organization playing in a high-stakes game.  This
cannot be
done without real funds, and real support from a broader constituency...both
of members
and of affiliate organizations including those who launch satellites for
profit, and those
US governmental agencies (and for-profit firms) who pay to have those
satellites launched.
It will take the support of all of them to have us launched instead of
ballast.

Frankly, all it would take is ONE potential affiliate to visit AMSAT BB one
time, in the period
5-6 months before the launch of ao-51,  and we would never achieve what we
need to put
up more birds.   That's how badly the BB and non-member behavior is hurting
AMSAT.
N2EA/ jimjarvis@ieee.org

[Jim Jarvis]  -----Original Message-----