From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org]On
Behalf Of Robert Bruninga
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2004 11:45 AM
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Cc: bod@AMSAT.Org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Utah Small Satellite Conference

Here is a Ham's summary of the 18th annual small satellite
conference at Utah State University in Logan Utah which
just completed. (8-12 Aug 2004)

This is a commercial conference, not an AMSAT conference,
but in addition to the Locheeds, Boeings and other big name
companies, there is also a display area for University and
Student Satellite projects.  Ten of these had some form
of amateur radio involvement on 2m, 70cm or 2.4 GHz.
(though only a few are/will be funded for launch)...

About a dozen or so of the attendees were Hams or AMSAT
members.  We usurped a table outside under a tent and set
up a small Sat Station with ARROW antenna to demo
Amateur Satellites.  Due to the success of this effort, we are
going to propose this as an ongoing effort in the future too.

One impression from my years at the conference is that
although there are a few AMSAT members present at this
conference, and the viability of small amateur satellites is
known by almost all attendees,  AMSAT as an organization
is not visible.

We got our foot in the door with the small ground station
we put up this year, and those of us that attend every year
have begun an effort to get a formally approved ground
station area for next year, and hopefully an AMSAT booth.

Next email will address a few tid-bits we picked up at
the conference.

de WB4APR, Bob