Re: mmic preamp

Noise figure and noise floor are not the same thing.  Wether you can
hear the atmospheric noise at UHF will depend mostly on the noise floor
of the radio itself.
A good mmic preamp will add 2 dB to the noise floor of the radio.  A
good gaasfet will add 1 dB or less.  There are a few mosfets which will
add 1 to 2 dB noise.
A JFET preamp is unacceptablly high with around 4-6 dB , typical.
 Ultimately, it is the reciever itself which determines the noise floor
and wether you can hear natural radio noises. adding anything between
the reciever and antenna adds noise, so lower noise figures are
important.  In real terms, if the radio has a good noise figure to begin
with , a 2 dB nf  mmic will perform quite well, but a gaasfet will be
measurably quieter.

Glen

--
Glen E. Gardner, Jr.