R: potential loss of keps

----- Original Message -----
From: William B Magnusson <williamb@netc.net.au>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Friday, August 06, 2004 2:38 AM
Subject: [amsat-bb] potential loss of keps

> Hello everyone,
>
> I would have expected more discussion on the BB regarding the impending
> closure of the CELESTRAK web site.
> Should this happen .....
> 1/ Is anyone worried?

Hi William,VK3JT

I am not worried at all about the closure of the CELESTRAK but i am
worried because we don't have for example a satellite available to get
again in contact with you in Australia.

> 2/ What are the alternatives - if any?

If the keplerian elements are not readily available the radio ham will soon
start to study again the Astronomy, Satellite Orbits and Kepler's Law and
he will soon improve his whole knowledge in Satellite Communications
as many of us did reading the OSCAR NEWS articles written by Peter
Greed G3MQD ,James Miller G3RUH and many others instead  to loose
time continuosly changing tracking programs putting in Keplerian Elements
without to know exactly from the astronomical point of wiew what they
means.

> 3/ Do we have a contingency plan?

Yes.

We should start to calculate the keplerian Elements from the observed EQX
reading "The Satellite Experimenters Handbook" of Martin Davidoff,K2UBC
and particularly Chapter 11 Satellite Orbits and Chapter 12 Tracking Topics
and since the 50% of challenge in Satellite Communications is represented by
deeply understanding how a satellite move in its orbit than very soon the
radio ham will recover again the above 50%  of astronomical learning that he
got beginning with OSCAR-6 and has been lost from the days of home PCs and
WWW

73" de

i8CVS Domenico