RE: ECHO reception

Patrick,

I can second what Scott says:  I have a 1/4 WL 2m mag-mount whip stuck on a
12x14-inch sheet of steel which works well....but only after I added a 432
preamp.  I will admit that I am not using the low-loss coax that you are
but suspect a preamp would change your whole experience.

I would guess the FT-8800R is a FM dual-band radio with one antenna
connector so both 145.920 and 435.300 appear there.  The 1/4 WL whip acts
as an 3/4 WL whip on 435 with excellent SWR.  A preamp in such a set-up
would need to be a model that switches with RF in transmit.

Assuming Echo checks out on solar-panels/batteries for supporting operation
at higher power, that will help reception on 435 with HT's, also.  We can
hope.  My attempt at receiving AO-51 with my FT-817 mobile with a Comet
dual-band whip with 12-feet of RG-58 resulted in very marginal reception,
also....I concluded I needed a preamp.

73's Ed - AL7EB