Re: Future ECHO User Status burst?

ECHO User Status Burst:

>I'm going to start calling you Kenwood Bob  !   The problem
>is that we do this for the Kenwood D7 and D700 owners,
>how many of them are there?   Then if other manufacturers
>comes out with a radio that has some other feature that is
>exclusive to their radio, should we add that feature too?
>There would be no end to it !

Probably the same was said when the first MFR added PL
to their radio.  Also, there is nothing exclusive about packet.
Anyone with a TNC, or these days, with a sound card can
decode it.  Therefore why not use packet to make meaningful
announcemnts to users about what is going on?

>If Kenwood would like to see these features added to
>OSCAR's then lets get them to buck up and help pay for
>the birds to begin with. It will make it a lot easier on all of us.
>... they can afford to give a bit back to amateur radio.

Well, they did.  They DONATED  20 of the D700 radios to
ARISS, then specially programmed each one for astronaut
training programs, and modified/prepared ONE for the rigors
of space-flight.  That one was flown to the ISS and is what
returned daily packet service ON-ORBIT from the International
space station a few months ago.

They sent dedicated engineers over several months time to
USA and Russia to make this happen.  My guess at the cost
of all that would probably be in the tens of thousands of dollars..

Id say they "bucked up" pretty nicely...

de WB4APR, Bob