Re: Future ECHO User Status burst?

> My second comment is about your net proposal.
> But is it really in the interest of everybody? Is it your
>intention that everyone can get a chance to use the birds?

Yes, by spreading out the access on these occasional NET
passes for different subgroups.  Everyone fits into some subgroup.
We just have to be creative in thinking up what they all are.
Then, rather than having 500 people jamming each other on
*every pass*, those people who otherwise could never get in
might meet the criteria for a given net and can plan on
operating that pass and can get in then.

Many people, I think get a lot of joy out of OTHERS having
success in HAM radio and being a participant in a special
event even if they might just be receiving so that others get
a chance.

It is a fact, that 500 people cannot use an FM bird on the
same pass.  No matter how you cut it, only a few dozen will
be successful.  I would disagree with your claim that that is
"good for everybody".   I would say that that is "bad" for
everybody and that we should explore ways to help spread
the access around more equitably and in a manner that
people can *plan* on.  Hence the suggestion for occassional
special event nets...

The present system which several people seem to claim is
"equitable and fair to everyone" is quite the opposite.  It
rewards power, egos and persistence at the expense of
others.  Nothing bad about that, that is what contesting is
all about.  It is actually fun too and does have a great part
in HAM radio, but I think it is time to try something different
too.

de WB4APR, Bob