From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org] On Behalf
Of Robert Bruninga
Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2004 19:05
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org; kb0ofd@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] ECHO Voice operations

>Greeting's!  How many stations do you figure you can
>check-in in a ten minute period?  I would think it would tie
>up the bird with everyone calling a net control station...
>only the operators with the "Big Rigs" would make it in.

That is not what I envision at all.  A good example is a ARISS or SAREX
contact.  In 8 minutes, with a net-control op, they crank through 16 or more
kids with questions and 16 or more relatively long winded responses.
Compare that throughput
to what happens on an FM bird...

But, with a net control and a specific purpose scheduled on ECHO, then In a
20 minute continental pass we can do
a lot better.

I think what is confusing people is their concept of a NET and checkins.
The kind of net I envision that would schedule time on ECHO would be a
specific net with a specific purpose published in advance.  And the
participating stations would be
a small subset.   For example, say somone wants to
schedule an SSTV net.   People would sign up in advance that
are SSTV capable.  Net control would call them in turn for their 40 seconds
of fame.  During a USA pass, I would expect over 40 Pictures though each one
of us might only see about 20.

No we would not ALL be able to transmit, but we would ALL
sure have fun RECEIVING!

If some net control wanted to schedule a FREE-FOR-ALL net
where he just gets on there and asks for conventional checkins with no
discriminant to reduce the uplink congestion, then that would be fine, but
we all know it wouldnt work.  So scheduling such a net would not make sense.

So lets be creative and look for neat things to do with this
asset on orbit.  But the key to sucess is chooseing a net topic of broad
general interest, but that also only has a limited subset of respondents.
It is limiting uplink congestion that is the key to success.

How about a NET for LICENSED KIDS.  Net control would
start with checkins 8 and under.  Work his way up to age
18 and over if he got that far.   Net week, the net my be for
OLD old timers.  Checkins would start at age 90 and over
and work down.

Although the subsets appear excllusinary, the point is to then find more and
more subsets that does spread it out and
let everyone have their small chance.   One way might be
alphabetically.  Another might be birthday.

Anyway, instead of working on excuses of why it wont work,
I'd like to see more thought given to exploring neat things in
HAM radio that would work.   But I agree, if we think in terms
of just normal operatiosn but just adding a net control, then
that  WONT WORK and is not what I am proposing...

Bob, WB4APR