Re: ECHO Voice operations

>Greeting's!  How many stations do you figure you can
>check-in in a ten minute period?  I would think it would tie
>up the bird with everyone calling a net control station...
>only the operators with the "Big Rigs" would make it in.

That is not what I envision at all.  A good example is a ARISS
or SAREX contact.  In 8 minutes, with a net-control op, they
crank through 16 or more kids with questions and 16 or more
relatively long winded responses.  Compare that throughput
to what happens on an FM bird...

But, with a net control and a specific purpose scheduled on
ECHO, then In a 20 minute continental pass we can do
a lot better.

I think what is confusing people is their concept of a NET and
checkins.  The kind of net I envision that would schedule time
on ECHO would be a specific net with a specific purpose
published in advance.  And the participating stations would be
a small subset.   For example, say somone wants to
schedule an SSTV net.   People would sign up in advance that
are SSTV capable.  Net control would call them in turn for their
40 seconds of fame.  During a USA pass, I would expect over
40 Pictures though each one of us might only see about 20.

No we would not ALL be able to transmit, but we would ALL
sure have fun RECEIVING!

If some net control wanted to schedule a FREE-FOR-ALL net
where he just gets on there and asks for conventional checkins
with no discriminant to reduce the uplink congestion, then that
would be fine, but we all know it wouldnt work.  So scheduling
such a net would not make sense.

So lets be creative and look for neat things to do with this
asset on orbit.  But the key to sucess is chooseing a net topic
of broad general interest, but that also only has a limited subset
of respondents.  It is limiting uplink congestion that is the key
to success.

How about a NET for LICENSED KIDS.  Net control would
start with checkins 8 and under.  Work his way up to age
18 and over if he got that far.   Net week, the net my be for
OLD old timers.  Checkins would start at age 90 and over
and work down.

Although the subsets appear excllusinary, the point is to then
find more and more subsets that does spread it out and
let everyone have their small chance.   One way might be
alphabetically.  Another might be birthday.

Anyway, instead of working on excuses of why it wont work,
I'd like to see more thought given to exploring neat things in
HAM radio that would work.   But I agree, if we think in terms
of just normal operatiosn but just adding a net control, then
that  WONT WORK and is not what I am proposing...

Bob, WB4APR