Re: AO-51 voice operation

----- Original Message -----
From: "Edward R. Cole"
Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2004 1:35 AM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] AO-51 voice operation

> John,
>
> I am not fond of regular operation on FM satellites for the reason you and
> many others cite.... [snip]

> If you live in America or Europe...GL!  FM satellite operation appears to
> taken on the habits of 20m DXing...a free-for-all.

Hello Edward and the list,

I agree with you about the FM bird gridlock problem. It's a shame that some
folks will monopolize a single-channel LEO bird with ragchews. How often do
we hear about FO-29 being under-utilized? Seems to me that FO-29 should be
the ragchew bird..

Despite the lack of good amateur practice, I think that we should regard the
activity LEVEL on the FM birds as a positive sign. We know that plenty of
operators are interested in satellites! Now instead of ragchewing, let's
encourage a short exchange including your Amsat membership number. This
should help grow the membership, which means that Eagle flies sooner!

No doubt about it that the FM birds have their place, many of us made our
first satellite contact through an FM bird - my first was via UO-14. I
worked that bird exclusively for months until I discovered RS12/13. What a
fantastic 'easysat' RS12/13 was - how about another mode A or T bird? I
didn't have a chance to try mode K.

It's no secret that some members objected to Echo being given priority over
Eagle. Now that Echo is launched, I hope that Amsat's full and complete
attention can be given to
building Eagle.

Anxiously awaiting a HEO!

 73,