Re: ECHO Voice operations

Bob,

SSB has Doppler problems and so does FM after the signal shifts out side the
pass band of the receiver. If you don't want to deal with Doppler how about
AM?

The problem is a single channel, a narrow time window, tracking problems,
and 500 Amateurs wanting to get on at once!
Nets will work if net control has 2 kW and 30 element Beam! Strongest signal
wins, FM captures so you only hear one signal, AM and SSB (a form of AM)
allow you to hear others below the main signal, but they are unintelligible,
an the alternative to capture!

AO-40 solved most of these problems, allowed you to plan your operating
schedule, allowed you to rag chew or work Dx, had room for everyone, and the
mode was chosen for least power consumption, not for the ease of operation.
The orbit unless at perigee, allowed to leisurely adjustment of antennas and
Doppler.

 Space and time from AOS to LOS  are in my opinion the most important. I do
not have the energy and time to setup for a  1 min QSO and a 12 min pass,
and then have to tear it down. Constraints on my property conflict with the
preferred operating position, and  antennas must be moved depending on the
portion of arc of the pass.

Other than limited demonstrations, I will not be active until we get another
HEO. I still have a TWT for 5.6 GHz that I was hopping to use with a small
dual band feed dish that would be portable. Now, it will be interesting to
see if this happens in my lifetime.

Art, KC6UQH