From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org] On Behalf
Of Robert Bruninga
Sent: Friday, July 30, 2004 10:04
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Future ECHO User Status burst?

Interspersed Status on  ECHO downlink:

ALso in the long run for ECHO, I would propose that an occassional 9600 baud
data burst could be included in the squelch tail of the voice downlink that
coiuld contain a line of useful status data for users.
(such as the previously proposed Net schedules).

At 9600 baud, the burst would only be less than 0.1 second and sound no
different nor intrusive than than the "sst" of someone that speaks with a
lisp...

Users of the D7 and D700 radio would see these announcements immediately on
the radio front panel.
Others might need only a laptop and software if they wanted to decode them.
But in any case, they would be virtually  unnoticible to voice operations.

Although UI formatted status bursts are already on the to-do list for ECHO
for the digital downlink, what I am asking in this proposal is in the long
run to consider if it is possible to inject these 0.1 sec bursts rarely on
the voice down link as well so that VOICE uers could stay infomed as well
while monitoring the voice downlink.

This way the voice user does not have to have two radios to keep informed of
the digital USER status messages.  THey are pulled off the same receiver.

de WB4APR, Bob