RE: uplink technique on AO-51

Mac,

I had my 2m set to about 145.918 MHz which suited the early half of the
pass. I expect I could have left it on .920 in fact the whole time.

For the pass I worked, for 2m the Doppler ranged from 145.917 at evl=0 thru
to 145.922 at the other extreme of 0 degrees. I.E. I expect leaving the 2m
side fixed at .920 would be just fine. Besides, for any radio that only has
5 KHz steps, that's the best fit anyway.

I was using an hand-held 4-element yagi for 2m and just aiming it in the
same general direction that my wife was aiming the one she had for 70cm. I
was using 25 watts and got good reports back. I expect my signal would have
been OK at a lesser power setting but did not try that.

Also, my 2m yagi currently has a poor gamma match so the SWR would not have
been very good, so that again suggests that 5w on a good directional antenna
may be enough if you are not fighting other uplinks.

Regards,

Jim, ZL1TYF.