Re: "Space Scanner" - Automatic Satellite TV Tracking System

Hi Mike:

Mike, K4HN wrote:

> I've seen these at the Orlando hamfest the last two years. They are setup
> pick out the DISH and DirecTV type geosync sats.  You tell it which one
and
> it points the dish to it.  I looked at the manual in Orlando and couldn't
> see an easy way to make it track a non geosync sat.  It looked to me like
> its logic was set up to track the equatorial geosyncs only".

I read the info on the manufacturer's website.  Yes, it looks like it is
designed to only track the equatorial geosyncs only.  I do not expect to be
able to automatically track any non-equatorial geosync satellites.

I would like to determine if it is reasonable to modify the unit and use it
as an Az/El positioner for a DSS dish connected to a PC controlled antenna
rotor interface.  Since the motors are 12 VDC with 24 VDC brakes, this seems
very reasonable.

However, the motors and gear assemblies would experience a lot more use in
tracking a LEO or HEO satellite as opposed to occasionally changing position
to a different Geo-sync satellite.  I was hoping to find out if anyone had
tried to use one of these units and if the motors and gear assemblies are
heavy enough for Amateur satellite tracking.

73,

Woody
KJ4SO