Re: Homemade Geiger Counter

A fluorescent lamp tube will probably work. The crt from an oscilloscope
or TV will definitely work.   You will need a photodetector with
photomultiplier, and perhaps a large fresnel lens to focus the light
from the phosphorous coated screen down to the size of the detector. You
might use a peltier cooler to help get the noise floor down in the detector.

The down side is that the detector will be bidirectional, not
omnidirectional.  I suppose you could build three of them to get
spherical coverage.....

TV CRT's make pretty fair cosmic ray detectors too. If you are concerned
about armageddon , it is pretty easy to build an emp detector with
greater than line of sight range.  A radiation detector will be strictly
line of sight coverage.. I don't think I'd worry excessively. It is a
lot less trouble to just not use nukes than to deal with the aftermath.

Glen

--
Glen E. Gardner, Jr.
AA8C