Homemade Geiger Counter

As we approach armagedon, I thought it might
be nice to have a Geiger counter.

Which, if I recall is just an ionization chamber,
a voltge charge and an audio amp.  Since Radio
Shack does not have GeigerMueller tubes, do I
remember correctly that you could even use
a flourescent bulb for the ionization chamber?

Just thought it would be nice to have something
to detect high energy particles around the house
or on a satellite, or feeding alerts onto APRS?
(hence asking on both sigs)..

Bob