Re: 5400 Resistance Readings

Hello Rick, de Stan, WA1ECF

for the Yaesu model G-5400B az/el rotator system.

For the elevation head potentiometer:
between terminal 1 and 3 is the complete winding of the pot, 500 ohms,
fixed.
The wiper is at terminal #2.

What ever the elevation position is, the sum of the resistance between
terminals 1 and 2 added to 2 and 3 is 500 ohms
on or about.

If measuring at the control box, the wire resistance is only a few ohms,
so we are still talking about 500 ohms.

The motor windings are terminal 4-5 is both windings in series, about 7
ohms as measured at the control box.
Terminal 4 to 6 and 5 to 6 are the same, about 3.5 ohms as measured at
the control box.
These readings includes the cable resistance.

Keep in mind there is a motor winding thermostat that will trip out when
the winding heats up due to being locked up.
It will reclose automatically after cooling down.

Richard J. Lawn wrote:

> I continue to be confused in repairing this 5400B EL rotor and I thank
> all those of you who have been trying to coach me through the repair.
> It was suggested that I take readings off EL terminals 1,2 & 3. I have
> the boom tube removed. I took readings at 0 at the control box
> terminals with power off and came up with the following:
>
> Pins 1-2 0
> Pins 2-3 3.7 ohms
> Pins 1-3 0 ohms

If these are the elevation pot resistance's, you have big problems.

> readings at 90 deg according to the control box meter:
>
> Pins 1-2 243 ohms
> Pins 2-3 210.7 ohms
> Pins 1-3 0 ohms

The first 2 are in the ball park.... pins 1-3 is fubar. first reading is
1/2 of the pot, second reading is the other 1/2 of the pot.

> readings at 180 deg.
>
> Pins 1-2 45.7 ohms
> Pins 2-3 0 ohms
> Pins 1-3 0 ohms