Re: Re: NO-45

Robert Bruninga wrote:

>>I set my station up to digi with NO-45 this afternoon
>>and it seems that I was the only one using the bird
>>on all 3 passes. Went to FIND-U to see if I made it
>>there and no location for me.
>>
>>But now wondering if this satellite is open for APRS packets?
>>

>Yes! and no?
>Yes, it has been open for 2 years now, but do not expect
>to find yourself on FINDU because there are no ground
>stations feeding the dowlink into APRS-IS.    So we need
>more permanent igates listening to the dowlink and more
>users to make it worthwhile..
>
>But also, NO
>because last week there was some concern as to the
>state of the batteries and so the command stations
>asked people not to digipeate until this could be
>resolved.
>
>Bob
>----

Hi Bob,

I've seen more than once your plea for more Igate stations. I, like many
others, I'm sure, have some spare radios and tnc's lying about. I also
have a broadband internet connection and computers online 24/7. So I
guess that the only thing I need is some Igate software for Windows.

 I've looked around and seen a number of different programs available,
but they all seem to think that I want to sit around watching the paint
dry on the APRS map. If I want to contribute igate data, then  the
program authors all want to charge me money for the priviledge.

Like many others, I've looked at aprs, found it interesting, and moved
on. However,  for the same reasons that I make my daily telemetry
contribution to the Echo archive, I would  be willing to make a
contribution to the aprs effort. But not if  I have to spend money for
software which I have no particular interest in, especially, when I am
already contributing my time and equipment..

So, unless you can point me to software that I have overlooked, or
better still, come up with some Igate-only software, I, again like many
others, will have to forgoe the pleasure of contributing to your effort.

regards,

Roy VE7BPB
Vancouver