From: John Mock [mailto:kd6pag@qsl.net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2004 13:10
To: AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org
Subject: [amsat-bb] LoTW and rovers

One reason i'm not currently active on the satellites was that i realized
that i was getting much too far behind in QSL'ing.  I started to convert my
logs to LoTW format and to think about providing a convenient way to obtain
a paper card upon request.  I'm not a very active rover, especially compared
to a few who have activated easily a hundred or more grid squares. But when
i found out that i would have to split everything up into separate log files
for each location i have operated from, and then have to submit each one
individually in a separate e-mail, i gave up in frustration.  Sure, i could
probably write a PERL program to automate this process and perhaps someday i
will.  I have no idea what the serious VHF-and-above rovers do in contests,
where they active more grid squares in a day than i used to do in several
years.  I re-read the FAQ and still don't understand how to avoid
this.

For the moment, i just find LoTW to be much too HF-centric (like the ARRL in
general).  *SIGH*  Unless i'm confused, perhaps some of you can lobby the
ARRL so we don't have to submit a separate log file for each location and/or
grid square.

[Note: I never send unsolicited binary attachments and if you receive
anything purportedly from <kd6pag@qsl.net> that isn't signed with my
callsign, then it probably isn't from me.]