Re: Re: Echo and SO-50

Hi Dave,

Usually I get SO-50 with full quieting using an Arrow antenna.  I can pick
it up pretty much as soon as it clears the hills (5 degree ele).  You might
have to rotate it 90 degrees, but for the most part it is full quieting by
10 degrees of elevation.  Using a whip antenna (AL-800) on a W32A it's
usually full quieting by 20 degrees at the most, sometimes sooner.

I have heard AO-51 anywhere from .3 to 3.3 watts, which is 1db to 15db
above SO-50.  Lately it has been transmitting TLM consistently at 1.1
watts, so that is about (I think) about 10db above SO-50.

73,

Emily

At 04:49 PM 7/18/2004 -0400, David P. Goncalves wrote:
>For a station listening to SO-50 on an HT (say, a TH-D7) and an
>Arrow antenna with diplexer, what sort of signal strength should one
>expect? At what angle should one start to hear it? I am finding it
>difficult to find the signal, and when I do, it is just enough signal to
>tell that it is there (but not enough to attempt a contact). Any hints?
>
>As a note, AO-51 was very easy to find and track when the power was turned
>up during the early orbits.
>
>Dave
>W1EUJ
>----