Re: AO-51digital modes with omnidirectional antenna?

John,

I believe that the Echo downlink is running more like 0.3 to 3w on the
beacon freq. recently.  That being said I hear if fine using a 3/4 WL
vertical whip over a ground-plane if I use a 432 preamp.  Currently, I am
usijng a 6-elem yagi to ensure solid copy of the beacon throughout the
pass.  Using the whip the signal was more subject to QSB which might cause
telemetery drop outs.

This being said one must continually retune thru the pass to keep the TNC
in lock.  I am now setting up my UniTrac-2000 to attempt auto-tracking
(B5400) and auto-tuning (FT-847).  Your question prompts me to try
listening with the whip (again) to compare it performance with the small
70cm yagi for telemetry capture.  What type of omni-directional antenna
would be optimum probably is an unanswered question at this point.

I hope this answered your question.

73's Ed - AL7EB