Re: RE: [QRP-L] Hard Drive Failure, THANKS

If you really wanna get fancy, you can encrypt your "My Documents" and other valuable files with PGPdisk, burn them to CD, keep a copy at a relatives house or work.

Offsite backups are NICE, and encrypting them removes the physical
security issue of the backup not being in your possesion.

I personally keep My Documents, a few pieces of software I must NEVER lose, and PDF scans of my birth certificate, Ham License, and some other valuable documents encrypted and burned to CD at a location I wont disclose due to severe paranoia.

Don't forget to keep your backups on current media too.  That backup of the QST article you wrote back in 1995 is pretty useless being stored on a 5 1/4 floppy.  3 1/2" floppies are just about dead, and in a few years you MIGHT be able to scrounge up a Zip Drive that still supports 100MB disks (should your drive bite the dust).  If DVD-RWs keep dropping in price, will they obsolete CDs in 10 years?

This may sound obvious, but how many of those home videos on VHS do you have from the early 80s that have become unviewable?  If they still work, will you be able to get your hands on a VHS player in 5 years to look at them?

Oh, and to keep this on-topic, make sure you back up all your valuable amateur radio software registrations too.   :)

Danny
KE4RAP

--

Danny