RE: [QRP-L] Hard Drive Failure, THANKS

Robert,

I purchased a computer specifically because it had three open drive
bays.  I placed a removable IDE HDD tray in one and have CD and DVD in
the others.  This allows me to have an internal HDD, and as many
removable HDDs as I can afford for backup etc.  I partition each drive
into 1/3 and 2/3 sizes.  The 1/3 partition is large enough to hold the
2/3 partition as an image backup with Drive Image or Norton Ghost with
maximum compression.  Additionally, I can make copies to my removable
HDDs as well, but more often than not, I keep CD-ROMs of 'My Documents'
and other places of important data.  With the cost of CD-ROMS under
$0.20 each, there can't be many less-expensive options.

I service computers for a living and learned that most hard drive
failures occur only on one partition.  Most of my drives have several
partitions for that reason.  My network servers are backed up by
removable HDD and automatic backup operations between computers at night
to keep the latest data safe.

Good luck with your recovery and in the future.

For what it's worth,
Buck
NA4FM

Reliable, Fast, Cheap