Re: Full Duplex on the LEOs

At 12:43 PM 7/8/2004 +0000, Stan wrote:

>NO, full duplex is not an absolute requirement, but it makes for more
>enjoyable and efficient QSOs.

I agree with this basically.  I think we all start off in half-duplex mode
- I know I did.  But it gets tired quickly and switching to full-duplex was
probably the best move I ever made. So as much as one can work the
satellites in half-duplex, if you are serious about working satellites,
full-duplex. So while you can use half-duplex, you should prepare to
upgrade to full-duplex rather quickly.

Upgrading to full-duplex doesn't have to mean an expensive new rig.  Many
FM mobile and handhelds have dual cross-band vfos.  My first was the Icom
2728H and the Icom W32A, which I still use with the Arrow.  (I'm sure there
are other rigs from Kenwood and Yaesu that have similar features.)  You
won't need to dump the dual-band ground plane antenna if you put together
appropriate filters. The back of the Diamond MX-72 duplexer has diagrams
that will help you build them.

However, having gone down the "half-measures" route, there is nothing that
can compare to the user experience one gets with a full duplex rig,
appropriate pre-amps and good beam antennas.

If you insist on running half-duplex, PLEASE don't transmit until you can
hear other people using the satellite.  It's easier to jam a satellite than
it is to hear it.

73,

Emily

W0EEC - CM87tm