Re: Handheld for Echo and FM Sats?

And this is indeed the decision I need to make. Will I use the digital
capabilities of the TH-D7? I do have an eTrex GPS unit.

My only foray into digital communications has been a bit of terrestrial
AX.25 on 2 metres in the early 90's. Checking for email and bulletins on
the local BBS did not capture my attention much.

I need to do more research into APRS and it's use in satellites. The
ability to send an emergency message from the back country, or to be
able to conduct two way digital contacts via satellite would be of
interest.

Although without a keyboard, the TH-D7 would seem to be a bit cumbersome
to use to send text back and forth. Particularly while pointing an arrow
antenna.

Also, can someone point me to a good website with information on APRS
Satgate? So far my googling hasn't found much.

Darrell
VE7CLA