RE: Handheld for Echo and FM Sats?

Hi Darrell,

The Kenwood TH-D7 is an excellent choice for a number of reasons.  For phone
operations on Echo, you will be able to use the full duplex feature of the
radio so you can actually hear yourself on the downlink while you are
transmitting.  Besides just a neat trick (it will wow you the first time you
do it), this is a must for operating portable with a handheld antenna so
that you know that your signal is actually getting into the satellite.  With
the VX-5, you will not know if you are getting into the satellite or not.
You can either use two HT's (one for transmit, one for receive), or use a
full duplex HT like the TH-D7.  You must use headphones when operating full
duplex or else you will get feedback when you transmit.

The built in APRS features of the TH-D7 will allow you to receive satellite
pass information "over the air" from a nearby satgate.  This way your HT
will tell you when the satellite is coming, the direction, etc!  You can
also work ISS and PCSAT using APRS with your TH-D7.

A standard HT with about 5 Watts is plenty of power especially when using
the Arrow antenna.

With 5 watts and an Arrow, I made well over 100 contacts on UO-14 before it
became a SK.  It is fun, easy (once you learn how), and teaches you a lot
about satellite communications.  You will also learn how to operate at a
fast pace.  With a 10 minute pass, you will find everybody is in a hurry to
rack up contacts!

Hope to hear you on Echo soon!!  73!

A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
http://www.aj3u.com