Re: Handheld for Echo and FM Sats?

> Which handhelds are suitable or recommended for working the birds?

Anything full duplex. I use an old FT-470. Lots of guys like the Icom w32a.
No experience here with the Kenwoods, but the one with the TNC would
probably be way cool. Oh yeah...make sure it receives down to 435.

> Are higher voltage battery packs for more transmitter power necessary or
> desirable?

Always nice...

> Does one need a headset to prevent feedback?

Absolutely.

> What else should I consider?

Pick up a compass, and a cheap tape recorder. Use the compass to find where
to point, and use the record to catch the callsigns and grids. Listen a lot
to begin with....and get the feel of pointing and how the exchanges run.
It'll make things easier in the long run.

Enjoy!

73, Drew KO4MA