FO-29 & bandpass filter

Working fo-29 at low antenna elevations my down link sig sounded very
distorted. At higher elevations it was clear. I thought the 2m sig might be
getting into the 70 cm side. so I tried feeding the antenna coax to the mast
mounted preamp, thru the 70 cm side of a duplexer. On the last pass my
downlink was clear as long as i could hear it. I have to try a few more
passes to confirm its fixed.
Question: If this did fix the problem what kind of filter should i be
looking for to use in place of the duplexer,and where in the coax is the
best place to install it?
Bill
PS  Thanks to all for getting back to me about my many many many other
questions.