MixW & Tlmecho & RF Primer

(I apologize to the list for reposting this, but we keep getting requests.
Apparently people come on, have not read the last week's messages, and don't
know how to use the archives....so....here it is (again).) I've included
setup notes for the emulator and some RF Notes. If this doesn't solve the
problem, I quit!

Well, I got it to work. DO NOT GO THROUGH AN INTERFACE!!! This means your
SSTV/Packet/PSK-31 interfaces will not work at 9600 baud. You MUST straight
wire from the radio's 9600 baud connector (typically a 6 pin mini-din) to
the Sound Card Line IN

WinXP Home, Celeron 550 Mhz, 256 mb ram
Yaesu FT-847, PKT 6-pin mini-din pin 4 wired DIRECTLY to sound card line in.
    (I used a Radio Shack Keyboard/Mouse Extension Cable # 26-149A and
chopped the female end off.) Pin out follows below:)

MixW32 2.12 with its KISS TNC emulation and Comm Port Emulator (Mix). The
com port emulator is a separate download, I used the later version that
supports up to 10 ports and includes source code. Download at MixW site. You
DO NOT need the port emulator to copy the telemetry with MixW. Just do the
straight through connection from radio to Line In

Sound Card: Creative Ensoniq PCI

    N.B. Some Sound Max Digital motherboard soundcards don't work at 9600

MixW32 2.12 9600 setup:

Mode Packet
Mode Settings, choose 9600 baud G3RUH Modem

Change Sound Card Sample Rate to 22050 (Control Panel, System, Sound Card
Properties, or use the MixW Configuration Menu).

Check Emulate Kiss

Leave all other things at default. Then adjust your sound card line in
...this takes a little playing. If you have a D7 or D700 available, transmit
to your setup. You should be able to decode the 9600 baud beacons from them.
You will see nothing of consequence on the waterfall. (It will look like the
background noise you area already receiving). When a good signal/data is
present you should see an "*" next to the DCD box in the bottom right of the
MixW window.

The instructions for installing the Com Port Emulator (a separate download)
are VERY good and included in the zip file. Since no attachments are
permitted on the list, I have embedded the readme file below:

====================================
ComEmulDrv serial port bridge driver
====================================

Copyright (c) 2002
MixW team
http://www.mixw.net

This driver emulates two serial ports and provides communication between
them under Windows 2000/XP.

Versions starting from 1.0.0.2 allow using up to 10 pairs of emulated
serial ports.

Copyrights
==========

This software is provided "AS IS" without any warranty.

You may use this driver for any purpose, freely copy and distribute
this archive in unmodified state.

If you use the cource code of this driver or its parts in your own
applications (requires Windows 2000 DDK), please leave references
to http://www.mixw.net.

Installation instructions
=========================

1. Install the driver
2. Configure the driver using Device Manager
3. Reboot the computer

Windows 2000:
=============

Installing the driver

1. Open Control Panel
2. Run "Add/Remove Hardware"
3. At "Welcome to Add/Remove hardware" screen, click "Next"
4. Select "Add/Troubleshoot a device and click "Next"
5. Wait
6. In Devices box, select "Add a new device", click "Next"
7. Select "No, I want to select the hardware from a list" and click "Next"
8. From Hardware types list, select "Multi-port serial adapters" and click
"Next"
9. Click "Have Disk"
10. Click "Browse" and locate ComEmulDrv.inf file, then click "Open"
11. In "Install From Disk" dialog, click "OK"
12. Select "MixW serial port bridge" and click "Next"
13. Click "Next"
14. In "Digital Signature Not Found" dialog, click "Yes"
15. Click "Finish"

Configuring

1. Open "System" from Control Panel
2. Select "Hardware" tab
3. Click "Device Manager"
4. Locate "MixW serial port bridge" under "Multi-port serial adapters"
5. Right-click on it and choose "Properties"
6. Select Properties tab
7. Choose first and second emulated ports for each pair
   WARNING: Choosing ports which already exist may cause driver conflicts!
8. Click OK and reboot the computer
9. Emulated ports DO NOT appear under "Ports (COM & LPT)" in Control Panel

Windows XP:
===========

(Almost the same)

Registry
========

The driver stores its settings in the registry in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MixWComEmul\
END of README FILE

In the emulator properties I set the com port emulator Pair 1 to use Com3
and Com4 19200. (Do not use an existing com port number being used by
something else).

I set Tlmecho to use Com4 at 19200.

I told MixW KISS EMULATION port to use Com3.
The 9600 baud setup screen in MixW has KISS emulation turned on, and
"enabled".

Other than putting in my callsign and grid square and port number, I left
all the defaults as they were in Tlmecho. (19200 baud).

So: MixW TNC Emulation Port Com3
      Tlmecho Port: Com4
      MixW Port Emulator Pair Defined as Com Ports 3 & 4 (top=3, bottom=4)
        Note: these are not "real" serial ports and do not show up in device
manager.

With this setup I was able to decode my D7A(g) handheld at 9600 baud and
have it show up in Tlmecho. I've now also copied telemetry and seen it show
up from MixW to Tlmehco. Everything works just fine.

One oddity is that packets sent from my D7A(g) as N0AN-8, show up in Tlmecho
as originating from N0AN-11. It must have something to do with how the KISS
emulation stuff works.

Radio Shack Keyboard/Mouse Extension Cable # 26-149A Pin out:

Pin 1  Black - Data In (tx data)
Pin 2  Brown - Signal Ground
Pin 3  Red - PTT
Pin 4  Orange - 9600 rx audio (to sound card line in)
Pin 5  Yellow - 1200 rx audio (ditto if using 1200 baud)
Pin 6  Green - Squelch.
    Note: I did not connect the bare wire that is "extra".

I only used Pin 4 and Pin 2, 9600 rx data and Signal Ground respectively. I
soldered them to a 1/8 inch mini-plug (mono).

To help with layout of the 6 pin mini-din:

With the connector in your hand, pins facing you, black notch at bottom. The
two pins at the top have wide spacing, the two at the bottom have narrow
spacing.

Clockwise from the bottom left pin: (wire color added corresponds to the
colors of the wires, once you chop off the female end and unravel the foil
shield)

Pin 6 GRN Squelch
Pin 4 ORG RX 9600
Pin 2 BRN Signal Ground
Pin 1 BLK Data In (tx)
Pin 3 RED PTT
Pin 5 YLW RX 1200

On a Win98SE machine, I was also able to get MixW32 2.12 to decode packets
from Echo, but the com port emulator for Mix won't run on Win98, but at
least I saw some actual data from Echo on this machine. If you have two
RS-232 ports (even the USB > Serial adapter type), you can connect them to
each other with a null modem cable, and then Tlmecho should work fine)

On a different WinXP system, with a SoundMax Digital Audio setup on the
motherboard, I was NOT able to decode the same handheld. Something looks
very screwy ...as I can't get the background noise level to drop to anywhere
near zero by adjusting the audio input level to the line in jack. I suspect
a something inherently incompatible with the sound card on the motherboard.

RF Notes;

The bird appears to be sending telemetry in Left Hand Circular. I can copy
it with my 14.5 dBc RHC CP-30 M2 antenna some of the time, without preamp,
but it's dicey much of the time. I don't see it often on an Arrow dual band
J-pole @ 65', no preamp, 120' of LMR-400. The telemetry channel appears to
be running very low power much of the time. If it is being commanded by the
ground station (you see LDR in the packet header), it is usually running
higher power.

The recommendation now is to use Linear antennas for ECHO, i.e., horizontal
or vertical polarization. A preamp is a BIG help. It should be antenna
mounted, unless you have a very short feedline.

If your hearing is normal, you can easily "hear" 9600 from the bird. It will
cause your receiver to "quiet" and as you tune back and forth, the "peak" in
quieting is very obvious. Further, as you tune across, you should see your
receiver discriminator meter move smoothly from way off low, through center,
to way off high. If you can't hear any quieting, you won't decode much data.
When you have a decent signal, you will see the MixW DCD (bottom right hand
of window, next to the 9600 box), show an asterisk "*"...the more solid this
is, the better your signal is. If it just randomly blinks, the signal is not
that good and you may not decode much.

73, hasan, N0AN