Re: Efficient (?) Rocket launch idea

My understanding is that this technology is not currently capable of
achieving a significant altitude.  It may achieve orbit, but it would not
be high enough to keep the satellite from degrading into re-entry.  Still,
as technology improves it's likely it could put a small payload higher up.

Personally I would love to see some satellite booster go up on the White
Knight.  When you consider that 70 percent of SpaceShipOne's weight
consumed by life and  re-entry support, a rocket booster that is not
designed to re-enter would probably go much higher.  I don't see (in this
case) technology and innovation as the obstacle as much as bureaucracy and
tort law.

Keep looking for answers William - and remember.  The road to progress is
lined with people who will tell you to turn back because there are potholes
ahead.  Just keep going and exercise your driving skills.

73,

Emily

At 06:01 PM 7/3/2004 +0200, William Leijenaar wrote:
>Hi AMSATs,
>
>I was just surfing on internet, looking about new technical things and
>just came to some idea.
>I see that engineers try to find some solutions to keep the launch cost
>low, and I see ideas like "Air-breathing" engines that fly first
>horizontal to gain speed and finally go on vertical with a normal kind of
>rocket into space.
>
>The problem however is the "air-breathing" engines, they are not to easy
>to make and need to speed up in the air. So I tought, why not use
>something like a steam-rocket, speed up on a runway, and at the end the
>runway goes vertical. Then the rocket can go on with its own rocket. Then
>it only has to keep speed till it is in space. In that way much less fuel
>is needed...
>
>I can imagine that a huge satellite can not be launched like this, but
>maybe a small one can be done.
>Maybe something for future amateur satellites, launched by ourselves :o)
>
>Just an idea to think about,
>
>73 de BV/PE1RAH,
>William in Taiwan
>---