Echo Success MixW & Tlmecho

Well, I got it to work. DO NOT GO THROUGH AN INTERFACE!!!

WinXP Home, Celeron 550 Mhz, 256 mb ram
Yaesu FT-847, PKT 6-pin mini-din pin 4 wired DIRECTLY to sound card line in.
    (I used a Radio Shack Keyboard/Mouse Extension Cable # 26-149A and
chopped the female end off.) Pin out follows below:

MixW32 2.12 with its KISS TNC emulation and Comm Port Emulator (Mix). The
com port emulator is a separate download, I used the later version that
supports up to 10 ports and includes source code. Download at MixW site

Sound Card: Creative Ensoniq PCI

In the emulator properties I set the com port emulator Pair 1 to use Com3
and Com4 19200.
I set Tlmecho to use Com4 at 19200.
I told MixW KISS EMULATION port to use Com3.
The 9600 baud setup screen in MixW has KISS emulation turned on, and
"enabled".

Other than putting in my callsign and grid square and port number, I left
all the defaults as they were in Tlmecho. (19200 baud).

So: MixW TNC Emulation Port Com3
      Tlmecho Port: Com4
      MixW Port Emulator Pair Defined as Com Ports 3 & 4 (top=3, bottom=4)
        Note: these are not "real" serial ports and do not show up in device
manager.

With this setup I was able to decode my D7A(g) handheld at 9600 baud and
have it show up in Tlmecho. I'm waiting for a pass to see if I decode
telemetry, but I'm sure it's all working now.

One oddity is that packets sent from my D7A(g) as N0AN-8, show up in Tlmecho
as originating from N0AN-11. It must have something to do with how the KISS
emulation stuff works.

Radio Shack Keyboard/Mouse Extension Cable # 26-149A Pin out:

Pin 1  Black - Data In (tx data)
Pin 2  Brown - Signal Ground
Pin 3  Red - PTT
Pin 4  Orange - 9600 rx audio (to sound card line in)
Pin 5  Yellow - 1200 rx audio (ditto if using 1200 baud)
Pin 6  Green - Squelch.
    Note: I did not connect the bare wire that is "extra".

I only used Pin 4 and Pin 2, 9600 rx data and Signal Ground respectively. I
soldered them to a 1/8 inch mini-plug (mono).

To help with layout of the 6 pin mini-din:

With the connector in your hand, pins facing you, black notch at bottom. The
two pins at the top have wide spacing, the two at the bottom have narrow
spacing.

Clockwise from the bottom left pin: (wire color added corresponds to the
colors of the wires, once you chop off the female end and unravel the foil
shield)

Pin 6 GRN Squelch
Pin 4 ORG RX 9600
Pin 2 BRN Signal Ground
Pin 1 BLK Data In (tx)
Pin 3 RED PTT
Pin 5 YLW RX 1200

-----------

On a Win98SE machine, I was also able to get MixW32 2.12 to decode packets
from Echo, but the com port emulator for Mix won't run on Win98, but at
least I saw some actual data from Echo on this machine.

On a different WinXP system, with a SoundMax Digital Audio setup on the
motherboard, I was NOT able to decode the same handheld. Something looks
very screwy ...as I can't get the background noise level to drop to anywhere
near zero by adjusting the audio input level to the line in jack. I suspect
a ground loop or something inherently incompatible with the sound card on
the motherboard.

I hope this long explanation is not too tedious, but I would have really
liked this same step by step description to help me before I slogged through
it myself. My apologies for the length of the post. Hope it helps some of
you that may want to copy ECHO telemetry with nothing more than a sound card
and the ubiquitous 847's.

73, hasan, N0AN