Re: Re: AMSAT Website Redesign Available to the BB

At 11:43 AM 7/2/2004 +0100, you wrote:
>I would have thought that a web site should conform to an HTML standard,
>NOT to a particular browser, then if your browser doesn't work with such a
>site you could scream blue murder to the browser people for not supporting
>the HTML standard.

You can scream blue murder John, but you have just made the point for
us.  The site is 100% HTML 4.0 and CSS 1.0  compatible.  We have not
implemented any XML (though we will for the RSS feed that people have
requested.)  The primary issue is that Netscape Navigator 4.x is not HTML
4.0 and CSS 1.0 compatible.  This is why they released Netscape 6.0 which
conformed to those standards.  If Netscape Navigator 4.x was  compatible
they would have came out with Navigator 5.x.  It never came to market
because it was going down the same road.  Instead they junked it and
started over with a new Core (GECKO).

We use only one non-compliant attribute, however HTML 4.0 clearly states
that a browser should ignore attributes and tags it doesn't
understand.  This is the major problem with Navigator 4.x.  It doesn't and
because it's DOM is hierarchically backwards from the HTML 4.0 DOM
heirarchy, it tries to interpret the attribute in a reverse inheritance
method that is the worse possible.

As for development tools, 10% of the work was done with Adobe GoLive on the
Mac, which was used to develop the site-wide style sheet and used to
prototype pages that contained graphics.  80% of the work was done using a
text editor (WinSyntax or EMACS) and the remaining 10% were tweaked with
vi. Adobe Photoshop was used exclusively to create, size and optimize
graphics.  Our graphic content is typically less than 19K, the three
exceptions that I can easily think of, those being the landing page
(approximately 36K not including the thermometers which are shared between
the classic site and the new site) Gould's Echo presentation and Mike's
Echo Integration photos.

- Emily

W0EEC - CM87tm
http://www.experthams.net/ao7