Receiving Echo Digital with Icom ICW-32 handheld

I use this radio for my handheld work.  I would like to be able to
decode the digital side of Echo.  If my understanding is correct about
having to interface to the radio using other than the speaker, is it
possible to use this radio for digital ?

The only other option I know is to get a Kenwood handheld with built in
TNC but from what I have read on the reflector, it has a different
set of problems.

Ron
KA4KYI