Re: AMSAT Website Redesign Available to the BB

Ah, this must explain why I have not been able to
see the new AMSAT WEB page.  I thought our local network
or firewall was hosed, because alI got were error messages.
Here at my government job, all web pages are mandated to
be backwards compatible to Netscape 4.0   humh...

>>> Jens Schmidt <j.schmidt@paradise.net.nz> 6/30/04 10:08:12 PM >>>
Hi Emily,

Whatever Amsat-NA just achieved with the launch of ECHO,
is well and truly undone with the re-design of the web site.

First point is that my browser is mis-detected as Mozilla, it's not,
it is Netscape.

Second point is that your suggestion that I should update my browser
per your list is way off track.
I have for a number of years been able to access and read 99.99% of
the web pages on WWW, including Amsat's NA page, that changed
now to 99.98%.
Some of us have very good reasons to not use only operating systems,
browsers and other software that has received the blessing of
Microsoft.
As a result we do not have the options to "upgrade", or even a wish
to do so.

Your priority of (the store, area 51), seems to me mis-directed, since
it
is not going to be visible till such time that Amsat-NA reverts to the
WWW
standard (99.99%), which appears to be HTML 3.0 / 4.0, and not
"clever"
style sheets, some form of java or cgi scripts.

73 Jens    ZL2TJT

AMSAT-ZL #218
AMSAT-DL #0402518

Emily Clarke wrote:

> Currently we are using a style sheet that is for the currently
supported
> browsers.  You would never see the list unless you enter the site
with one
> that isn't supported.  But if you are interested in seeing the list,
it is:
> http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/browser/
>
> Lynx is one of the browsers we don't currently support.  The reason
is
> simple - the increased graphical nature of the site made supporting
Lynx
> less of a priority.
>
> The good news is that the site is controlled by a site wide style
sheet and
> common header files.  We will be adding support for additional
browsers,
> including lynx, over time.  Please be patient because we have to
prioritize
> our work and have bigger priorities (the store, area 51) but
eventually
> this will happen.
>
> 73,
>
> Emily
>
> At 06:37 AM 6/30/2004 -0500, you wrote:
> >First, I love the new site!  It is great to be able to see the
entire
> >opening page in one window.
> >
> >But...I can't open the site with Lynx.  Can you still keep support
for
> >text-only browsers?
> >
> >Tom WB8WOR

> W0EEC - CM87tm
> AMSAT Area Coordinator - San Francisco Bay Area
> http://www.projectoscar.net    http://www.PlanetEmily.com
> http://www.experthams.net/ao7
>
> Help Launch Echo - http://www.amsat.org/amsat/sats/echo/index.html

Sent via amsat-bb@amsat.org. Opinions expressed are those of the
author.
Not an AMSAT member? Join now to support the amateur satellite
program!