R: Downlink budget calculation

----- Original Message -----
From: John Santillo <u1004467@warwick.net>
To: i8cvs <domenico.i8cvs@tin.it>; Joel R. Stanley <j_r_stanley@wyan.org>;
AMSAT-BB <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 4:38 AM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Downlink budget calculation

> Interesting thread but I have a few more questions.
>
> If the signal at the receiver's input must be at least -122dBm to be
"heard"
> by the receiver, then what is the assumed bandwidth?  Is it for voice, CW
or
> data?  Won't CW be about 5dB better than SSB with the same power at the
> input?

Hi John, N2HMM

I believe that the sensitivity specifications of -15 dBuV for (S+N)/N= 12 dB
given by Joel KC8DQH for his receiver are for SSB and so they are for a
filter BW = 2.5 KHz and this is the case of an FT-736 for example.

In this condition if the applied SSB input signal is -122 dBm it will be
heard "by the receiver" with a ratio (S+N)/N = 12 dB

If you tune a CW signal instead of a SSB signal without changing the
receiver BW = 2.5 KHz than the noise floor of your receiver will not change
at all but a CW signal is always better discernible over the noise than an
SSB signal and how much better depends by the phisiological capability
of your ears because there are CW operators in condition to copy Morse
code about 20 dB under the noise and other that are not in condition to
detect CW with a signal=noise

But if your receiver has in addition a CW filter with a BW= 500 Hz for
CW than switching from SSB to CW the noise floor will be better (less) by

10 log   (2500/500) = 7 dB
         10

In this conditions the above receiver will get available at the output a CW
signal with a ratio (S+N)/N = 12 dB with only -122-7 = -129 dBm at the
input

> Assume for the moment it's for voice and the filter bandwidth is 2.5KHz
then
> can an operator actually understand what is being said at -122dBm or do
you
> need another 6dB or so to make the voice discernable.

In this case if the filter BW is 2.5 KHz and the applied signal is -122 dBm
than the above receiver will get available to the operator an SSB signal
with a ratio (S+N)/N = 12 dB

> '73,
>
> John
> N2HMM